July 8 – 11, 2019
Hong Kong Convention and Exhibition Centre
By Khadija Azhar
RISE, Asia’s largest tech conference, convened for its fifth edition this summer, bringing together some of the world’s leading entrepreneurs and investors to discuss the effects of tech on business and society. Along with the more than 16,000 attendees, this year’s RISEConf featured 385 speakers who turned each stage into a bazaar of ideas and insights with a schedule packed with panels.
The conference focused on 5G telecommunication technology, AI, autonomous driving, esports, and entertainment with its star speakers: Uber CTO Thuan Pham, Didi Chuxing CSO Zheng Bu, Razer CEO Min-Liang Tan, and YouTuber Wendy Ayche.
The following were some of the highlights from the conference:
- Thuan Pham (Uber CTO) discussed the company’s progress throughout the years and its post-IPO plans
- Cecilia Qvist (Spotify Global Head of Markets) shed light on the platform’s expansion into international markets
- Hannibal Buress (comedian and actor) focused on how entertainers influence people’s experience of the world
- Alex Chung (Giphy Founder and CEO) explained how online expression is evolving
- Elie Seidman (Tinder CEO) spoke about adapting the app to cultural differences in the ways people connect and interact
RISEConf shone on the logistics front with the RISE app. Not only did it help keep tabs on the goings-on, but it also transformed the four-day conference into a networking wonderland. One quick scan of an attendee’s QR code revealed their details and saved their contact to your account. With a global tech community housed under one roof, this was undoubtedly the most valuable networking tool available to the attendees.
No other conference in the Asia-Pacific region attracts such high-profile speakers and startups at the top of their game. Whether you want to connect with industry experts, scope out the competition, or look out for the latest tech trends, RISE is the place to be. –KA