LINE Pay and Visa to partner on next-generation fintech solutions, digital payment cards
- Companies will collaborate on innovative financial experiences in global payments, transfer platforms and blockchain
- Visa cards to be integrated in LINE app
TOKYO – June 6, 2019 – LINE Pay Corporation, operator of digital wallet and fintech services on the LINE messaging app, and Visa (NYSE: V), the global payments leader, today announced a strategic partnership that will see them create new financial services experiences for their collective user bases of millions of consumers and merchants worldwide.
The two companies will collaborate across multiple areas, including:
- Everyday consumer payments: LINE’s 187 million global monthly active users will be able to apply for a digital Visa card from within the LINE app, and over time, add any of their existing Visa cards to make seamless payments from their mobile phone. The companies will also offer users additional and enhanced experiences like integrated loyalty programs and tailored offers and new payment capabilities for users when they travel overseas.
- Solutions for merchants: Through Visa, LINE Pay users will be able to use LINE Pay branded capabilities at Visa’s 54 million merchant locations worldwide, enabling them to take advantage of LINE Pay offers and services. They will also be able to see these transactions in their LINE Pay digital wallet, even where LINE Pay is not directly accepted. In addition, LINE Pay and Visa will collaborate on ways for merchants to interact with the LINE Pay service as well as LINE Pay digital wallet, supporting the continued growth of globally interoperable payments.
- Fintech services: LINE Pay and Visa will develop new experiences based on blockchain that enable B2B and cross-border payments and alternative currency transactions.
- Marketing: Ahead of the Tokyo 2020 Olympic Games, LINE Pay and Visa will partner on exclusive marketing campaigns and promotions to contribute to Japan’s acceleration towards a cashless society in the lead-up to and after the Olympic Games.
Messaging apps are a fast-growing frontier in digital commerce, as consumers look for more of their everyday tasks, like payments, to be integrated with the apps where they’re spending more of their time. As consumer preferences shift further towards a single app from which they can do everything – transfer money, make an online purchase, pay bills, book travel, and order food – LINE Pay and Visa’s partnership will make that seamless experience a reality for millions of users while ensuring LINE Pay and Visa further drive the expansion of globally interoperable, open-loop payments.
This new partnership extends the existing relationship between LINE Pay and Visa, which includes co-branded LINE Pay Visa cards in Taiwan and to be launched later this year in Japan.
“LINE Pay is more than just a payment method. As we transition to a cashless society, LINE Pay is focused on delivering added value to LINE’s users around the world and business partners,” said Youngsu Ko, CEO of LINE Pay and LINE’s Fintech Company. “With Visa’s global network and infrastructure, LINE Pay users will be able to enjoy the advantages of that innovative, worldwide network.”
“The Visa co-brand program that currently serves 2.3 million customers in Taiwan is one of Visa’s fastest-growing programs globally, said Chris Clark, Regional President, Asia Pacific, Visa. “We are excited to extend this momentum to a range of new solutions in more markets around the world. As the LINE Pay team continue to enhance the utility of the LINE messaging application for consumers’ everyday lives, we are impressed by the potential of LINE’s distribution power and consumer loyalty to further drive the growth of the global, open-loop payments ecosystem to benefit all players on our network – consumers, merchants, and issuing and acquiring banks.”
 The services as offered by LINE Pay and Visa is subject to local country’s rules and regulations
About LINE Corporation
Based in Japan, LINE Corporation (NYSE:LN/TSE:3938) is dedicated to the mission of “Closing the Distance,” bringing together information, services and people. The LINE messaging app launched in June 2011 and since then has grown into a diverse, global ecosystem that includes AI technology, fintech and more.
About LINE Pay Corporation
LINE Pay Corporation is the operator of the LINE Pay digital wallet and fintech service for the LINE messaging app. Founded in 2014, LINE Pay aims to become a leader in the mobile fintech industry by closing the distance between people, money and services for cashless payments and digital wallet services.
About Visa Inc.
Visa Inc. (NYSE: V) is the world’s leader in digital payments. Our mission is to connect the world through the most innovative, reliable and secure payment network – enabling individuals, businesses and economies to thrive. Our advanced global processing network, VisaNet, provides secure and reliable payments around the world, and is capable of handling more than 65,000 transaction messages a second. The company’s relentless focus on innovation is a catalyst for the rapid growth of connected commerce on any device, and a driving force behind the dream of a cashless future for everyone, everywhere. As the world moves from analogue to digital, Visa is applying our brand, products, people, network and scale to reshape the future of commerce. For more information, visit About Visa, https://usa.visa.com/visa-everywhere/blog.html and @VisaNews.