The GREAT Festival Of Innovation To Host Over 50 Satellite Events Across Asia To Celebrate UK Innovation And Creative Spark
7 March 2018｜March will be a celebration of all things British, with the reveal that there will be over 50 satellite events to take place over 4 days throughout Asia as part of the GREAT Festival of Innovation.
Hong Kong and Macau will host an array of events which will run concurrently to the GREAT Festival of Innovation, which takes place from 21 to 24 March at Asia Society Hong Kong Center. Satellite events popping up around the city will give guests and the public the chance to continue the discussion of creativity and innovation of the future.
Events in Hong Kong not to miss include:
- Intimate events with Festival speakers hosted by the British Chamber of Commerce will give guests close access to the UK’s top thought leaders. Highlights include a breakfast with Sir Martin Sorrell, a breakfast hosted by Lord Mayor of London Charles Bowman, and student mentorship sessions with Festival speakers.
- Performances from UK’s brightest musical talent, including Britain’s biggest-selling classical tenor Alfie Boe; Reeps One, the world class British Beatboxer who will be collaborating with Classically trained Hong Kong Philharmonic; solo violinist Sally Law with a unique performance and up-and-coming electric-soul; and British duo Honne.
- Private tour from acclaimed UK photographer Jo Farrell of her exhibition BOUND Feet Women of China, which will be shown at the Hong Kong Museum of Medical Sciences from 18 to 31 March. The exhibition, which proudly supports the GREAT Festival of Innovation, is a fascinating exploration of perceived beauty that captures tradition and culture.
- A celebration of British food with GREAT Festival Menus at over 15 of Hong Kong’s hottest restaurants, showcasing the best of British ingredients and culinary innovation. Diners can sample special menus at restaurants including Grand Hyatt Steakhouse, Tiffin, Gough’s on Gough, Rhoda, Beef & Liberty and Bread Street Kitchen from 21 March to 3 April. The future of food innovation will be a hot topic of conversation at the GREAT Festival of Innovation with talks from the UK’s top chefs including Tom Kerridge, Andrew Wong, Isaac McHale and Tom Aikens.
- Fashion launches with the British Fashion Council at Lane Crawford over the course of the Festival, including the Hong Kong launch of cutting-edge British fashion label Roksanda. The event will mark the launch of an exclusive capsule collection between the premium Hong Kong retailer and the talented Central St Martins-educated designer and Business Woman of the Year (Harper Bazaar UK, 2014) Roksanda Ilinčić, who will be a speaker at the GREAT Festival of Innovation.
- Leading British artist Conrad Shawcross, a key speaker at the Festival, has presented two works at Harbour Arts Sculpture Park, Hong Kong’s first international sculpture park set against the city’s iconic skyline.
- The Art and Science of Collaboration, a round table conversation hosted by the British Council on 22 March with universities participating in the GREAT Festival of Innovation. The session will explore the importance of collaboration amongst universities and between universities and industry to spark innovation, spur creativity and to demonstrate how university research is one of the key drivers of a developed economy. Moderated by Vice-President and Pro-Vice Chancellor (Research) at the University of Hong Kong, Professor T S Andy Hor. Speakers include Professor Andy Collop, Deputy Vice Chancellor of De Montfort University, Leicester, UK and Lord Ashton of Hyde, UK Parliamentary Under Secretary of State at the Department for Culture, Media and Sport, who will be making the opening address.
- The Art of Storytelling in the Modern Age, organised by the British Council, 23 March. International and local Hong Kong authors will explore storytelling in contemporary society. Hosted by Andrew Heyn, HM Consul-General, Hong Kong.
Andrew Seaton, Executive Director of British Chambers of Commerce, the Festival’s supporting partner, says:
“The British Chamber of Commerce in Hong Kong is delighted to support the GREAT Festival of Innovation. Innovation and technology are driving business change more than ever and the Festival offers a platform to build solid relationships and enhance trade partnerships between the UK and Asia. This opportunity comes at a significant time for Hong Kong, with the Government’s major new programme of support for innovation here. The Chamber is pleased to be supporting the GREAT initiative by hosting number of satellite events to help maximise the impact of the Festival. Fantastic industry leaders, such as Sir Martin Sorrell and Alex Cruz, will be joining us to share their insight and knowledge on the future of business and how this will revolutionise our work and our lives.”
Partners of the GREAT Festival of Innovation will also be hosting diverse and engaging events across Hong Kong in support of the Festival, to be announced soon.
Please see appendix attached for a selection of the announced satellite events across the region.
For more updates, please visit: https://www.events.trade.gov.uk/the-great-festival-of-innovation-hong-kong-2018/.
About GREAT Festival of Innovation 2018 The GREAT Festival of Innovation, to be held at Asia Society Hong Kong Centre from 21 to 24 March 2018, is the third of its kind after the success of the GREAT Festivals of Creativity in Istanbul (2014) and Shanghai (2015). Its vision is to share innovation and create life-long partnerships that will drive the future of free trade and prosperity between the UK, Hong Kong SAR and the region.
The Festival will explore the latest in cutting-edge innovation and the future of how we work, live, play and learn through a series of talks, panels and interactive workshops over four days. Bringing together some of the world’s brightest minds, business leaders and policy makers, the Festival will provide a unique platform for powerful future partnerships.
The GREAT Campaign The GREAT Britain campaign showcases the best of what the whole nation has to offer to inspire the world and encourage people to visit, do business, invest and study in the UK. It is the Government’s most ambitious international promotional campaign, uniting the efforts of the public and private sector to generate jobs and growth for Britain. The campaign has already secured confirmed economic returns of £3.1bn for the UK.
The UK has a huge amount to offer, with world-class universities, ground breaking research, high tech start-ups and entrepreneurial business people. Global leaders in the creative industries like music, fashion, design and film, the UK can offer visitors unforgettable experiences, breath-taking landscapes and iconic attractions.
The GREAT Britain campaign captures the best of all that is familiar about the UK, but also what is new and surprising about the country.