15 Interesting Things You Should know about Twitter
If you are reading this article, chances us you already have a Twitter account (or two!). Here are some interesting facts you may not know about Twitter.
- Twitter has 271 million monthly active users
- About 44% of people on Twitter have never sent a tweet (Source: WSJ.com, April 2014)
- 77% of accounts are outside the U.S.
- Twitter supports 35+ languages
- The fastest growing demographic on twitter is 55-64 year olds (Source: Fast Company, 2013)
- 500 million Tweets are sent per day
- Twitter is 7th most popular website globally according Alexa.com (August 17, 2014)
- Barack Obama holds a record for 3rd most followed twitter account with 43 million followers. He's behind Katy Perry and Justin Beiber. (May 2014)
- Men account for 70% of Twitter’s employees. (source: Fortune.com)
- Twitter Stock (TWTR) is worth $44 USD and has a market cap of about 27 billion (August 15, 2014)
- Twitter social signal is not part of Google Search Ranking Algorithms according to Matt Cutts. So having more Twitter followers is not going to help you with your SEO efforts.
- In June of 2014, Twitter released mobile-app install ads called MoPub Marketplace to help monetize on it's network. (source: WSJ) Marketers can now reach 1 billion devices on and off Twitter (source: Twitter.com)
- In July 2014, Twitter announced that it had acquired CardSpring, a payments infrastructure company, to help with its goal of bringing "in-the-moment commerce experiences to our users." (source: Mashable.com)
- Twitter is now testing video ads, this platform is currently in beta. (Source: Forbes, August 13, 2014)
- Mobile ads account for 81% of Twitter’s ad revenue, USD 224.4 million. (source: Internet Retailer, July 29, 2014). Despite the gains, the social network has yet to turn a profit.
Twitter’s latest experiment turns favorites into retweets (and noone likes it!) (source: TNW, August 17, 2014)